Rooibos Vanilla Earl Grey makes a wonderfully earthy, aromatic infusion that perfectly compliments the apples. Add a little ginger and lemon to add some contrast to the sweetness and you will have a simple, wholesome accompaniment to any yogurt or porridge or even enjoy it on its own. It is also a great way to use up any apples that may be past their best.
- 3 apples (it works best with sweeter, red apples but if you prefer your compote a little tart go for a green cooking apple or a granny smith)
- 100ml boiling water
- 1 AVANTCHA Rooibos Vanilla Earl Grey tea bag or 5g loose Rooibos Vanilla Earl Grey
- Squeeze of lemon
- 2cm of ginger – grated
- 1tbsp brown sugar (+ more to taste)
- If using loose tea, brew this in a teapot with 100ml boiling water for 8 mins. After 8 mins strain the leaves from the infusion and throw away.
- While the tea is brewing, peel and core the apples and then chop into 1cm chunks
- Add the chopped apple, 1 tbsp brown sugar and grated ginger to a small saucepan. If using a teabag add this now.
- If using loose tea, add the brewed infusion (minus the leaves) to the saucepan.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat and leave on a gentle simmer, with the lid on, for 15-20 mins or until the apple is soft. You will need to stir occasionally to stop the apple from sticking.
- Once the apple is soft, remove the teabag and add a squeeze of lemon. Also check you are happy with the sweetness and add more brown sugar if necessary
- Its ready to eat! Or you can leave it to cool down and then store in the fridge or freezer – it keeps very well when frozen.